Saturday, March 14, 2020

Pandemic School

This week our district announced 6 weeks off because of the Covid19 pandemic.  I really appreciate the thoughtfulness of this district.  Even though school will be out teachers are preparing supplementary materials for us, the kitchen staff will be feeding kids that need breakfast and lunch and staff are offering childcare to families that need it for financial reasons or who work in the medical field.  This weekend I created another home school schedule for us.  I had no idea we would be back to homeschooling but we are all trying to be flexible as the world feels like it is shutting down. 

Seattle area ended up being the center of the first US outbreak and we lost many elderly in a care facility. It's been eerie everywhere as grocery stores are out of cleaning products, hand sanitizers, toilet paper and now frozen foods and dry goods. I am thankful for Vashon and our neighbors as people are really showing community spirit and taking care of one another.

Here is our new school schedule:

Monday- Thursdays
  1. Math- Khan Academy and Bridges math books
  2. Reading- free choice
  3. Writing- write letters, journal, write a story, fix the paragraph
  4. Mindfulness- working through mindfulness activities together
  5. Outside time
  6. Spanish
  7. Block- Cooking, typing, humanities, history theater, science- one each day
  8. Art project
Friday is our enrichment day  where they can chose a topic to study and catch up on anything that didn't get done during the week.

World Meter as of 11:16 am pacific time zone
154,367 cases
5,798 deaths
74,262 recovered

As I was typing this the numbers changed in minutes, it is moving fast.
155,205 cases
5, 811 deaths
74, 262 recovered






 

No comments: