Avery started school today. We chose to enroll him in Crossroads Christian School this year. This school offers smaller class sizes, shorter days, and lots of parent involvement. The school follows Charlotte Mason's philosophy on teaching. "She was a British educator who believed that education was
about more than training for a job, passing an exam, or getting into the
right college. She said education was an atmosphere, a discipline, and a
life; it was about finding out who we were and how we fit into the
world of human beings and into the universe God created." Anne White
We read the book For the Children's Sake by Susan Schaeffer Macaulay. It's a great book that talks in detail about Charlotte Mason's teaching philosophies. This site talks about the 7 characteristics of Charlotte Mason education. After doing extensive research we felt that this school was a great fit for Avery. I can already say that after the first day of school he came home saying he liked school! In the 5 years he has been attending preschool and grade school he has NEVER once said that. He always says he doesn't like school. I was so happy to hear that! I am looking forward to the enrichment days when Scott and I get to teach his class. It will be nice to get back into the classroom after 7 years of being home. I also think the prayer and share once a month will be nice so we can really get to know the other 8 families in his class. I am happy that it is also a Christian school because it is an extension of home. Avery questioned why he couldn't talk about Jesus or learn about him last year. He said he only likes schools that are with churches. I was really touched that in his student questionnaire his teacher asked how she could pray for him.
First Grade- 7 years old
1 comment:
Awesome! It's so great when you know you're in the right place! Yah Avery!
Post a Comment