Monday, April 05, 2010

Great Kid's Bible

I meant to put this with the Easter post but forgot. A friend of mine recommended The Jesus Storybook Bible a year or two ago. I love this book as does Avery. It does a great job telling the stories in a way that are understandable and exciting. I hadn't yet read the Easter story to Avery until this year because I wasn't sure how to explain Jesus' death on the cross to a 3 year old. This year I read him the story and he understood the story much better than I thought he would. I was afraid he would be fascinated/mad at the soldiers but he really seemed to grasp that Jesus chose to give up his life. I highly recommend this bible if you are looking for a good children's bible.

5 comments:

The Goodfellas said...

that's awesome brandee! i was concerned about the same thing too, with telling the story to flaco. i didn't want to demystify it, if that makes sense, to make it too common so that it didn't even catch his attention. i mean, given that i assumed he wouldn't or couldn't understand. i think that sharing the gospel with kids is a lot like sharing the gospel with a tribe in the middle of the jungle. you know? they know nothing of it, they have no background - they don't understand the history behind or the stories that need to lead up to the cross. and then there's the basic lack of words, of basic language to make yourself understood, or for them to ask questions in. you hear of missionaries who work for 8 years learning the language and working on communication before they even begin to share a story from the Bible - and i get that now. but i think that God helps you know when to share and how to share. right? it's an awesome thing.

Brandee said...

It is an awesome thing and i have gained a new perspective through Avery's eyes. he was so excited to hear the story this year and he wanted me to read it over and over. the only hang up i have is he keeps referring to the things Jesus can do as magical. it's hard to help him distinguish between make believe and Jesus since he can't see either. that's one reason why we really don't mention santa or easter bunny because i'm afraid of when he realizes they aren't real he will question if Jesus is real. i LOVE make believe and imaginations i just hope he can distinguish between those and Jesus.

The Goodfellas said...

yeah, we think about that a lot too! when we read to him, we always say "is it make-believe or is it true?" and he generally knows which is which. but sometimes, yeah, we read something Jesus did, like walking on water, and he says "es fantasia" and i say "no no, es de verdad! it really happened!" and he looks with those huge eyes and is like "REALLY?!" which is awesome. i know what you mean about seeing things afresh through your kid's eyes - so wonderful!
ps. i totally stole this whole thought process for something i wrote on mine, just so you know. ;) you got me thinking - i'm glad you wrote this.

Tony! said...

Wow I'm still wrapping my mind around these comments. In a good way! I never once thought of what it would be like to teach a child the fantastic things Jesus did were real.

Brandee said...

Tony, your comment intrigues me. I would love to hear your thoughts....