Yesterday I enjoyed my english muffin covered with homemade raspberry freezer jam, like I do most mornings. However, there was a brief moment of panic when I realized that I was eating the last of it. We made our strawberry jam this year, but with moving and all the other busyness summer brings we never got around to picking our raspberries and making jam. I love the strawberry jam, but raspberry is my favorite. Since the summer berries were long gone, I thought I wasn't going to have any more this year. However, I discovered through a little searching that there are fall bearing raspberries! There are raspeberry bushes out there that bloom continuously until the first frost. So we packed up the family and headed to the closest farm that had fall bearing raspberries. Because it was later in the season, we were also able to go to the apple orchard and pick honeycrisps! It was a fun day and we were all tired out by the end. But... I have my jam!

Golden raspberries! We didn't even know they existed. We ended up picking both varieties and I think golden are even better than the traditional red ones. They are much sweeter.

Picking his first apple. He loved running to the trees to help fill our bag.



Here's the new ride- with an expanding family we had to find something to accommodate 2 kids, a dog, 2 ferrets, and all of our things so we decided on the Mazda MPV. I never thought I'd be a van mom, but there really aren't many options when you need the room. Oh well, Avery loves playing with the automatic side doors.
I realize there aren't any pictures of us picking raspberries since that is what this whole post is about, but we were really busy picking enough pints for a whole years worth of jam! I do wish I had taken a picture of Avery when we were done. He loved picking the berries since they were at his level. He was covered in raspberry goo by the end of the day.
5 comments:
I am coming over for breakfast to try the yellow raspberry jam! Oh, and I love the new ride! I was so hesitant to get into a minivan, but now that it's gone I miss it. So much room and higher up (so much easier on the back to buckle in car seats!). Not to mention the space it gave me from the fighting, singing, whining, and child chatter. I liked it, it'll grow on ya. ;)
I didn't know you were pregnant!!! Congratulations? How many weeks? Nice minivan...no doubt it will be worth it!
I love your new minivan! Since I got a van I don't think I would ever want to go back to a car. How do you like driving it?
Scott and Brandee, I love all of the new pictures. Grandpa North and Granpa Wunderlin looked so happy. Avery is getting so big and he's so cute!!! Brandee, you are so beautiful pregnant. I also loved the picture of Avery with Gaven, Austin, and Jaycent. I love all of the artistic things you do with Avery. You are both such wonderful parents and I'm so proud of you both. I also think it's great that you still get together with Janna, Irene, and Sara. You'll have to tell them hi for me. Well, I guess I better close before I write a book. I love you guys so much and can't wait to see you again. I'm so excited about the arrival of my great niece. I can't wait to spoil her! All my love, Aunt Debbie
Scott and Brandee, I loved all of the pictures. Avery is so cute and you are so beautiful pregnant Brandee!!! I'm so proud of you and Scott and what wonderful parents you are. I miss you and love you, Aunt Debbie
Post a Comment