Thursday, July 03, 2008

I guess it's time....

I had wanted to wait until Avery was much older to switch him to a toddler bed, but like most things he had other ideas. On Monday night he asked for a kiss after I had put him in his crib so I had to put the side rail down. I hadn't put the rail down in months and I don't think Avery had really ever paid attention before. When I put the rail back up, I saw the wheels turning in his head and I whispered to Scott, "He's thinking about how to get out of bed." We laughed and left the room. It wasn't more than 10 minutes and we hear a crash. Sure enough, Avery came running into our room. After several more falls and a bloody lip, we decided he was ready for a toddler bed. He really loves his new bed, but the last few nights have been sleepless as he relishes in his new freedom. I never thought he would just all of the sudden try to escape. He hadn't even attempted to put his foot over the bars before so I was shocked when he got out. A week shy of 2 and he has a big boy bed, he's growing up so fast.

3 comments:

annetta said...

Asa got put in a big boy bed the exact same way! Although he got 2 bloody lips out of the deal. :) Zeke is finally in a bed now too. We tried a couple times before but he couldn't handle his new found freedom. He would run laps around the room while squealing with excitement! I would open the door he would finish his lap jump into bed and yell "Nuhnite Mama!!" I would close the door and seconds later hear the running of laps and squealing. We thought that he would stop. He didn't!

Team Davis said...

How did you get him to stay in his crib?

annetta said...

We made it easy for him to climb out so he wouldn't hurt himself. As for bed we just kept going back and putting him in bed. Over and over and over again. He finally got the idea.