Sunday, April 02, 2017

House of Fools!

It's that time of year again, the one we all love....April Fools!  It was another year of laughs and clever, thoughtful moments. This year they were both watching the calendar and waiting for April Fools.  I made sure not to change my dry-erase calendar until today so they wouldn't be prepared.  Avery even asked yesterday, is it April Fools yet?  I walked over to the calendar, looked at it and said, "Nope it's still March."  Apparently that was enough to get them off the trail. The first trick Scott and I pulled was set up starting on Thursday.  When I was driving in the car I said, "Boy we haven't had brownies in awhile, I think I will make some on Friday."  

 I bought the brownies and started to bake them while they were getting ready for bed.  I told them they could have them after lunch on Saturday. 

 
 Once they were in bed, Scott dyed white sponges with a cocoa powder and boiling water mixture. 

 
 Then I frosted the sponges and added sprinkles.  I also did the same for the real batch in the background and cut out squares to make it look like we cut those sponge brownies out. 

 Looks just like a brownie! 

Here's Avery trying the brownie. He pauses for a moment, laughs and says, "That's mean."  At least I had a real brownie nearby.

 
We also filled the ice dispenser with jelly beans

 
and created a fake man to sleep on the couch.  When they got up and saw the fake man in the dark they were becoming suspicious and asked Amazon Alexa if it was April Fools.  She replied, "You missed the boat, it was yesterday."  Love that she was in on it too!  

The kids tried to get us too and we played along.  Avery re-arranged the bathroom and jammed my bathroom drawers so I couldn't open them.  Alia put tape on some of the door handles.  It was another fun year of laughs.  I know I appreciate a good joke.  It really takes thought to set up the perfect joke for someone because you really have to know them and their habits.   

No comments: