Sunday, March 20, 2011

Biking in GA

If you read the last post you noticed we had Avery on a tow behind bike. There is a little more to the story that makes for an entertaining tale. Our friends gave us the tow behind bike to use for the summer since they knew that the kids were not fitting in the Burley any longer. The catch was that the clip that connects to the bike was missing. I figured that I could either make something or contact the company to get a replacement clip.



Here is my attempt to connect the bike to my seatpost. It was ok at first but eventually became a concern for me. I decided that I wouldn't risk Avery's life so I decided to contact the company for a replacement. Unfortunately they had gone bankrupt and had this notice on their website.

Recall of Bicycle Trailers

Consumers should stop using the trailer immediately and the product should be destroyed.

So we tossed it in the garbage. A remark like that doesn't inspire any confidence especially after you have jerry rigged it. The good news was that our short ride showed us that Avery loved riding in the pull behind. But now what, Avery is asking us if he can go for another bike ride and we don't have anything for him. REI to the rescue. It just happened that same week REI came out with their yearly dividend. We figured for as much use as we have gotten out of the Burely we would get our use out of the pull behind.



Avery loved his first ride so much. The picture is blurry because the kids were super excited to get going.

This trailer is a Weehoo and is amazing. I love the safety features it has. After using the other one for a day I can really appreciate how well this one pulls. Most pull behind bikes are like a regular bike attached to the adults. The problem I found with this is that their higher center of gravity really causes a problem if they are not balancing right. Avery almost tipped me over reaching for his water. With the Weehoo (so fun to say) the center of gravity is so low you don't even notice.

No comments: