Monday, April 16, 2012

Great Urban Race

Scott and I love Amazing Race and have been watching the show since it first aired. Well you can imagine how excited we were when we heard about The Great Urban Race. The race was this weekend and we had a blast! Our team was the e-LEMON-ators and we dressed in all yellow with a few lemon accessories. At the start of the race each team is given an envelope with 12 clues that lead to various locations around Atlanta. Part of the challenge was figuring out which clues to do first and where they were at. We ran 8 miles and covered a total of 30 miles by public transportation. Each location had a challenge to complete before we could move on.


Go team e-LEMON-ators!


There were so many people and lots of neat costumes. One guy was dressed in a giant Wheaties box. I can't imagine how he ran or got on and off the trains and buses.


At this location Stephanie ate a freeze-dried squid and Scott had to run with scuba gear on and a tank over his shoulder.


This clue gave us trouble. We ended up going 8 miles out of our way when we went to the wrong fire station. The clue was looking for an old fire station that turned into a restaurant and we went to an actual fire station.


This was my favorite place because we got to sample homemade bakery goods. As you can see from the picture, Joe and I didn't quite figure out you could adjust the hats.




We had to find 4 people to give piggy-back rides to. These kids were excited to help us out. I felt bad for the girl I was holding because her grandma kept saying, "don't drop her, she's really heavy."


The hardest part for me was navigating MARTA, the train and bus system in Atlanta. I had never been on MARTA and for those of you who know me, I'm not the quickest person to figure out how things work. I could never figure out how to use my breeze pass to open the gates and my team members were always way ahead of me. At least I was the comic relief on the team!


This stop was my least favorite stop because we had to learn a few salsa moves. I have never been very coordinated, especially when it comes to learning dance moves. The instructor had to keep stopping to make sure I got the moves right because no matter what he said I always started with the wrong foot or went the wrong way. Again, I added a few laughs to the day!

In all, we had a blast and really enjoyed getting to see Atlanta on foot and by public transportation. I would love to do this again, but would like to try another city...maybe one I am more familiar with.

1 comment:

bama cindy said...

What great fun! It looked like you had a blast.I loved your name and bright shirts.