Saturday, January 15, 2011

Georgia on ice

This last week was an interesting one in Georgia. On Friday of last week they started predicting a snow/ice storm that was going to hit on Sunday. People swarmed to the grocery stores to get any last minute supplies and then anxiously awaited the snow. Being a Wisconsin native, I didn't do anything extra, how bad could it really be? I could always walk to the store if I needed anything and the roads would be clear in a day. The thing I didn't consider was that the stores would be closed and the trucks couldn't get there to restock the shelves. I am still waiting on dark chocolate chips : ). Okay, so fast forward to Sunday night, it started to snow/sleet. We woke up Monday morning to glaze ice everywhere and the entire town shut down, including the interstates in Atlanta. The ice was thick and it wasn't going anywhere. Normally in this situation back home they would heavily salt the roads and send plows around to clean up the mess. Now this is where the problem is in Georgia, we don't have the right equipment to take care of snow and ice. I think they mentioned around 40 snowplows total in the greater Atlanta area. I didn't see any in our county and I'm not even sure our county owns one. Most of the time they don't need the equipment because it warms up in a day or two and everything melts. This time Mother Nature had other plans- she didn't want to warm up until today (Saturday). That is a full six days of dealing with ice. We had school canceled for 5 days!!! I don't think there was ever a time growing up when we were canceled for more than 2 days. I didn't run out of food, but Scott had to search for gas since the gas station near our home was out.
I did enjoy being iced in, because we could be lazy and follow our own schedules. Sometimes life gets really busy with all of the activities planned, so this was nice. We stayed in our jammies almost everyday until after lunch and we only ventured out once or twice. Today we hiked at a local nature preserve.

The ice on Monday. It was funny watching the dogs try to use the bathroom. They both kept sliding all over the place.


Avery wanted to collect heavy things and try to break the ice. Here Scott is throwing a log, it's mid air in the picture. You can tell by Avery's cheering arms that he is quite excited!


The trails were still icy, Scott had to hold onto Avery most of the hike.

No comments: